The winters of Wyoming can be very cold which also means that your water lines have a possibility of freezing. The Public Works Department shares some important tips to protect your water lines during the winter months:
1) Know your water system!
2) Know where your water line comes into your home.
3) Know where the shut off valve for your water line is located (usually immediately before the water meter).
4) Keep your incoming water line warm!
5) Make sure the area where the water pipe enters your home is warm. (If you live in a mobile home, make sure the area where the water pipe leaves the ground and enters your home is warm and insulated.)
6) If you can’t keep the area heated, make sure the line and water meter are well insulated and/or heat traced.
7) If you have a shallow water service on your property, keep a small stream of water running and consider having a new line installed below the frost line.
8) If you ever see small amounts of ice in your water, be sure you keep a small stream running to keep your lines from freezing.