2018 Scheduled Shutdown
The Green River Recreation Center’s Annual Shutdown will take place August 14th through September 7th. Updates will be made during this time. In addition to the below listed items, the staff will be performing a deep cleaning of the facility.
- The Gymnasium will be closed from Tuesday, August 14th through Friday, September 7th. The floors have been screened entirely to the wood one (1) time since being built in 1984. This process is recommended every 5-10 years and it has been 18 years since the floor was completely treated. That means there are 34 coats of finish on the floor, causing patching, scratches, and the dull look to the floor. The floors are being screened all the way to the wood, lines will be repainted, two coats of finish will be applied to the floors, and finally set to dry.
Opening: The Gymnasium will be open Saturday, September 8th.
- Racquetball Courts 2 and 3 will be closed from Tuesday, August 14th through Monday, August 27th. The floors are being screened to take away damage from hard usage; two coats of finish will be applied to the floors, and finally set to dry.
Opening: OPEN NOW!
- The Swimming Pool will be closed Friday, August 17th through Monday, August 27th. The pool’s vacuum sand filter tank is located in an enclosed pit in the pool filter room off the corner of the pool. The paint has come off the tank and the metal is rusting/degrading. If this continues to go untreated for the next 10 to 15 years, we are looking at replacing the entire tank and re-piping. There is limited space to work in that case and the expense would be around $200,000; not including inflation. With this one repainting of the tank, we can prolong the life of the current filter tank for up to 20 years; continued attempt to repaint could prolong the life of the tank indefinitely. While the pool is down the staff will: take advantage of sealing cracks in the bottom of the deep end, replace broken tile with new, grout many areas of the bottom of the pool that have been needing grouting for a few years now, buff the entire pool for a deep cleaning, and a new tuff coat will get laid on the tile to replace some of the pool deck mats.
Opening: OPEN NOW!
- Steam Room will be closed from Tuesday, August 21st through Friday, August 24th. The windows need replaced, the door frame is coming loose, the cement under the window is rotting away from all the moisture, and there is a collapsed drain. We will be replacing the whole door area and repairing the drain.
Opening: OPEN NOW!
- Nursery will be closed from Monday, August 20th through Friday, August 31st. The nursery has become the base of operations for computer and offices until the carpet has been replaced in the office area behind the front desk.
Opening: OPEN NOW!
Remaining Open (some limited access during annual maintenance period):
- Front Desk
- Cardio Hallway
- Multi-Purpose Room
- Inner/Outer Weight Room
- Locker Rooms/Restrooms
- Ping Pong and Pool Table
- Wet Area (Steam Room/Sauna/Hot Tub)
- Racquetball Courts 1 and 4
- Downstairs Meeting Room
2018 Shutdown Plan of Attack Day-by-Day
All work done in house by our awesome full-time and part-time staff unless listed otherwise:
- Friday, September 7th, 2018 – Continental Flooring continues work on replacing facility carpet. Everything should be open except gymnasium floor work continues by E.B. Eames.
As many parts of the Green River Recreation Center will be closed periodically, we have automatically extended membership passes for up to one (1) week for anyone with a currently active membership at the time of the shutdown. Please check with the front desk of the Recreation Center if you have questions about your extension.
- Saturday, September 8th, 2018 – Everything will be OPEN! OPEN HOUSE: FREE ADMISSION for everyone.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. These scheduled maintenance activities are essential and necessary to maintain a quality, clean and safe facility for our patrons every other week of the year. Patrons are more than welcome to call the front desk to ask what parts of the facility are open on any given day.
Thank you to our community for your support while we make improvements and upgrades to our facility.
Open House at the Green River Recreation Center on Saturday, September 8, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM with free admission to all participants. Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
Bring Your Friend to Class for Free week, September 10-14, 2018. During this promotion when a person gains admission to the facility (daily admission + single class fee, monthly membership, or annual membership) and attends class, they can bring a friend to class. The 2nd person will be able to try the class free of charge.
Thank you for your loyal patronage.
For more information on this and other programs please contact the front desk of the Green River Recreation Center at 307-872-0511 extension “0”.
August 30, 2018 Pool and Wet Area are Open!
August 30, 2018 first coat of finish on lined gymnasium floor, carpet getting setup around the building, offices getting put back together
August 23, 2018 Cleaning closets, pool storage floor gets 2nd coat, the pool is filling, tuff coat is getting laid, staff chipping tile, steam room door getting replaced, all while Joanna takes care of patrons at the front desk.
August 22, 2018 Laying primer for Tuff Coat on Pool Deck, Steam Room drain replaced, painting the nursery, gymnasium floor work continues, and painting pool storage room and doors.
August 21, 2018 Lining for Tuff Coat, Gym Floor Second Sanding, Grout Pool Tile, and Pool Filter Getting Painted
August 20, 2018 Weekend Work, Staff Buffing Pool, and Lobby Cleaning
August 17, 2018 Preparing Pool Filter Tank for Cleaning and Painting - Save 182K in 15-20 years
August 17, 2018 Staff deep cleaning the stainless steel
August 17, 2018 Sanding and coating the front desk, deep cleaning the lobby, and buffing the pool deck
August 15, 2018 Sanding the gym floor, painting around the facility, 2nd coat for racquetball courts 2 & 3
August 14, 2018 Sanding the Gym floor begins, sanding and 1st coat the racquetball courts 2 & 3, and painting