The Green River Recreation Center’s Annual Shutdown will take place August 14th through September 7th. Updates will be made during this time. In addition to the below listed items, the staff will be performing a deep cleaning of the facility.
- The Gymnasium will be closed from Tuesday, August 14th through Friday, September 7th. The floors have been screened entirely to the wood one (1) time since being built in 1984. This process is recommended every 5-10 years and it has been 18 years since the floor was completely treated. That means there are 34 coats of finish on the floor, causing patching, scratches, and the dull look to the floor. The floors are being screened all the way to the wood, lines will be repainted, two coats of finish will be applied to the floors, and finally set to dry.
Opening: The Gymnasium is projected to open back up Saturday, September 8th.
- Racquetball Courts 2 and 3 will be closed from Tuesday, August 14th through Monday, August 27th. The floors are being screened to take away damage from hard usage; two coats of finish will be applied to the floors, and finally set to dry.
Opening: The Racquetball Courts will open back up Tuesday, August 28th.
- The Swimming Pool will be closed Friday, August 17th through Monday, August 27th. The pool’s vacuum sand filter tank is located in an enclosed pit in the pool filter room off the corner of the pool. The paint has come off the tank and the metal is rusting/degrading. If this continues to go untreated for the next 10 to 15 years, we are looking at replacing the entire tank and re-piping. There is limited space to work in that case and the expense would be around $200,000; not including inflation. With this one repainting of the tank, we can prolong the life of the current filter tank for up to 20 years; continued attempt to repaint could prolong the life of the tank indefinitely. While the pool is down the staff will: take advantage of sealing cracks in the bottom of the deep end, replace broken tile with new, grout many areas of the bottom of the pool that have been needing grouting for a few years now, buff the entire pool for a deep cleaning, and a new tuff coat will get laid on the tile to replace some of the pool deck mats.
Opening: The Swimming Pool is projected to open back up Tuesday, August 28th.
- The Entire Facility (except the Front Desk for Registrations) will be closed Wednesday, August 22nd through Friday, August 24th for flooring repairs as well as all the above listed closures.
Opening: Parts of the facility will open back up Saturday, August 25th. Flooring repairs will continue around the facility through September 3rd.
Remaining Open (some limited access during annual maintenance period):
- Front Desk
- Cardio Hallway
- Multi-Purpose Room
- Inner/Outer Weight Room
- Locker Rooms/Restrooms
- Ping Pong and Pool Table
- Wet Area (Steam Room/Sauna/Hot Tub)
- Racquetball Courts 1 and 4
- Downstairs Meeting Room
As many parts of the Green River Recreation Center will be closed periodically, we will be extending membership passes for up to one (1) week by request. Please check with the front desk of the Recreation Center to receive your extension. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. These scheduled maintenance activities are essential and necessary to maintain a quality, clean and safe facility for our patrons every other week of the year. Patrons are more than welcome to call the front desk to ask what parts of the facility are open on any given day.
Open House at the Green River Recreation Center on Saturday, September 8, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM with free admission to all participants. Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
Bring Your Friend to Class for Free week, September 10-14, 2018. During this promotion when a person gains admission to the facility (daily admission + single class fee, monthly membership, or annual membership) and attends class, they can bring a friend to class. The 2nd person will be able to try the class free of charge.
Thank you for your loyal patronage.
For more information on this and other programs please contact the front desk of the Green River Recreation Center at 307-872-0511 extension “0”.